Looking for a tasty recipe that you can whip up in the kitchen of your apartment? Try this one for Coconut Shrimp. I just tried the dish for the first time at a local restaurant here in Smyrna called Lee’s Golden Buddha (2524 Cobb Pkwy SE, Smyrna, GA 30080). I hope this recipe I found at AllRecipes.com does it justice.
Have you been to Lee’s before? They’ve got pretty good take-out if you’re looking for authentic Chinese, Malaysian or Thai cuisine near Tamarron Apartments. Give it a shot and let us know what you think!
- 1 egg
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 2/3 cup beer
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 cups flaked coconut
- 24 shrimp
- 3 cups oil for frying
- In medium bowl, combine egg, 1/2 cup flour, beer and baking powder. Place 1/4 cup flour and coconut in two separate bowls.
- Hold shrimp by tail, and dredge in flour, shaking off excess flour. Dip in egg/beer batter; allow excess to drip off. Roll shrimp in coconut, and place on a baking sheet lined with wax paper. Refrigerate for 30 minutes. Meanwhile, heat oil to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C) in a deep-fryer.
- Fry shrimp in batches: cook, turning once, for 2 to 3 minutes, or until golden brown. Using tongs, remove shrimp to paper towels to drain. Serve warm with your favorite dipping sauce.
(Photo Credit: basykes)